If you are a successful business with a web site then it is almost imperative that you are using SEO. SEO stands for search engine optimization. What this means is that you are trying to get the highest possible position on Google or Bing or any other of the popular search engines out there. And why do you ask? Well how many times have you goggled something, let’s say you looking for a new pair of shoes, so you type in new Nike shoes. Then what comes up is a number of web pages that you can visit for that particular item you looking for. But the question is how many of those sites do you visit before redefining your search? Three? Four? It has been shown that 75% of users don’t look past the forth web site. So this means that the higher you are on the “rankings” then the higher your chances of consumers visiting your website and therefore increasing sales and productivity. Sometimes SEO can be very complex with reconstruction of your entire site but there are a few things that you can do every day to help improve your websites rating. All it takes is a little bit of patience hard work and time.
Here I am going to give you 10 quick and easy tips to getting you started.
- Monitor where you are in the rankings for your particular website. Knowledge is key and without knowing where you stand in the rankings you will not know whether or not your SEO is working. There are also different tools or applications that you can use to do this so that you don’t have to do it yourself. These programs include Alexa, MarketingVox and even Google toolbar to name a few.
- It is also very important to know your client market and to know what they are looking for and to know what keywords they are using to find your specific website. The better your keywords the better traffic to your site.
- Now number three is probably the most important. And this is keywords. Keywords are the building foundation to any
form of SEO. The incorrect use of the right keywords can make or break your site. Using keywords that visitors will not be using means less traffic to your site and therefore a loss in productivity. You should carefully place your keywords properly in all the aspects of your webpage. This would be in your content, titles, image names and urls. Think of your keywords as the “search terms” that people would input to find your site. The two most important places to put your “search terms” would be in your header and your title tag.
- Now I have just emphasized how important keywords are and now you are probably thinking that you want to put them everywhere but beware not to overdo it. Putting to many keywords into your site is dangers because there are programmes designed to search the internet and to label certain sites as spam. Too many keywords equal spam. If you are labelled as spam then visitors will not visit your site.
- Another successfully strategy is to use other websites to link yourself back to your own website.
- Number 6 goes hand in hand with number 5. Create a lot of other insignificant sites and link them all back to your main site. More sites mean more traffic and increased productivity.
- Be certain to insure that when you are linking sites that your content is relevant and makes sense, and also be sure not to over link. If your visitors get annoyed then it means the will start looking elsewhere and this leads to loss in traffic.
- Create a site map. This is a basic web page that lists all of your websites and shows your different links to your site and this also makes it easier for computer “bots” to find you and search for your site.
- Now this is probably the most difficult out of all SEO. Search friendly URL’s. The simpler your term usage the better.